Thursday, August 23, 2012

2 weeks (17 days old)

Xavier had his 2 week checkup yesterday. He's up to 8lb 12 oz! I don't know length, they didn't tell me. But 12 oz in a week is more than is expected and the doctor seemed pleased. He did go ahead and use silver nitrate on his navel area since it's still kind of been oozie. I don't know if it was successful or not as it still doesn't look great. But again, the doctor seemed pleased and said that since he's perfect we don't have to come back again until his 2 month check up and beginning his vaccinations.

We also have had success with feeding on both sides. Still working on the latch and healing the right side but apparently even with the difficulties he's doing well.





We have uncovered a sleep issue though. For several nights between 10pm and 5am (sometimes varying an hour or two on either side) he has seemed inconsolable. Just screaming. Showing hunger signs (rooting, chewing on his fist, etc) but when trying to feed him he just arches his back and screams. Last night though I did a little experiment. Instead of sleeping in our bed and co-sleeper, he and I slept downstairs. Me on the couch and him in his rock & play sleeper thing. This way I could see his face more easily if he woke up as with the co-sleeper I have to sit up to see him. Also, the sleeper thing downstairs has a slight incline. I also realized that the last couple nights I'd had some sort of chocolate close to night time, but didn't last night so maybe chocolate doesn't agree with him? And finally, after some suggestions on facebook, I tried giving him gas drops. Not sure what the cure was, but our night time screaming session was much abbreviated.

Sleeping downstairs also helped me out because it's much more comfortable to feed him on the couch than it is in bed. I just can't arrange pillows comfortably and the back support on the couch is better too. The downside was that the humidifier is upstairs. So he was a little more snuffly.

Today my grandma is flying in to meet Xavier and to drive up to meet his cousin, Samuel. So that's really exciting.

Over all, I'd say things are going well. I don't have any good new pictures at the moment. But when I get some, I'll put a new post up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment