Wednesday, June 13, 2012

June appt

Appointment went well. Had another ultrasound, but Xavier was sleeping so nothing terribly interesting to watch or see happening. Fluid is still high so they want to do another one next appointment. It was either that or start me on the high risk monitoring EVERY WEEK instead of letting me continue to come in every other week. They didn't give me measurements or any information really other than the fluid was still high. They finally explained why it COULD be a problem for my fluid to still be high. If my water should break on its own, then the cord could rush out first and then get pinched by the baby's head which would cut off his oxygen supply and be bad. It was nice to finally have an explanation as to why it's "bad" since everything else came back good. 

My blood pressure was "excellent" they said. I still gained 2 lbs even with exercising and really watching my calories. The midwife I saw today didn't say anything about my weight gain other than it seemed fine.


After the midwife appointment we went downstairs to try to meet the family care physician who is the pediatrician that we are "assigned" to since I hadn't made a decision already. Lets just say that as soon as feasibly possible I'm going to be looking for someone else. I'm sure he's a good doctor. But he really made me uncomfortable. I think it all started when it felt like he was criticizing my decision to have the baby in the birthing center, which is in his building! He kept calling it "California stuff" and made it feel like the touchy feely nature is a bad thing. There was also a lengthy discussion about vaccinations which I haven't really made a decision about any special
vaccination requests so that was kind of whatever. I think he was proud of me for not doing that "California thing."

And I guess not that it's really anyone's business but I had decided that I didn't want to circumcise if we had a boy.  I figure even though God told the Hebrews to cut off their foreskin as a sign of their covenant with Him, I'm not Jewish or Muslim and God must have put the foreskin there for a reason originally (surely not just to give the Hebrews something to cut off) so until my son decides he wants to be circumcised it will remain in place. I don't see any reason to have a routine surgery. It's not that I'm avoiding it for the additional cost, like the dr said "the Hispanics" are doing. It's not really for the concern about the traumatic experience of a brand new baby. It's just that I figure it has a purpose. No sense in messing with the original perfection of a new born baby.

Anyway, he starts going off on some things about how it seems like in his opinion we should circumcise but he ends with "when it comes down to it, it's just cosmetic. You have to raise him, not me."

Anyway... very uncomfortable experience.

However I guess for my Wednesdays that I'm not going to the doctor (or around doctor appointments) I'll be trying to find Childcare first. I'm getting nervous that we don't have that settled. After that's settled I can start looking into other doctors. I guess as long as I have one decided on before he's born that's the important thing so they can schedule the first appointment. And I think they put the deadline on there just to ensure there is one decided upon.

Over all though, it was a good and fairly productive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment